Silverbacks will keep their name | Sports & Recreation
ATLANTA -- The Silverbacks are still the Silverbacks. After running a Decision 2012 name change campaign, the soccer club's fans voted for the team to keep its identity.
"While the results ended up being very close, the fans have voted in favor of the Silverbacks," team general manager Andy Smith said in a statement. "That's really what this campaign was all about -- getting the community involved and giving them the power to choose the direction of our professional team."
"The fans are the ones that keep us going, so allowing them to take part in such a big decision was really important to us," Smith added.
The decision to keep the team name was announced Thursday at the Hard Rock Cafe in downtown Atlanta.
In the end, the fans chose Silverbacks over the Atlanta Chiefs, Atlanta FC (Football Club) or a write-in name.
Team chairman Boris Jerkunica also announced the team's next initiative at the Decision 2012 party: a logo design contest. Silverbacks fans are invited to submit entries for the team's new logo. Details and contest rules will be posted to atlantasilverbacks.com no later than noon on Friday.
Upcoming Events near Doraville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Colbert plans segment on jailed electric car owner
- Cops alleged electric car owner stole $10-25 worth of electricity
- Electric car owner charged with stealing 5 cents worth of juice
- One dead in Dawsonville plane crash
- W. Wesley Hamilton joins Sterling Risk Advisors as Broker & Managing Director of Strategic Accounts